27th SGIFF: Masterclass | Tran Anh Hung
MASTERCLASS WITH TRAN ANH HUNG
(The Scent of Green Papaya, Cyclo, I Come With The Rain, Eternity)
26 NOV 2016, SAT / 11.00AM / 60MIN
IMPORTANT TICKETING INFORMATION BELOW
Tran Anh Hung reached international acclaim with his debut feature, The Scent of Green Papaya, in 1993. The film, which won the Camera d’Or prize at the Cannes Film Festival, went on to garner an Oscar nomination for Best Foreign Film that same year, making it the first Vietnamese film ever to be nominated for an Academy Award. Considered to be at the forefront in contemporary Vietnamese cinema, his later works continued to impress critics and festival audiences worldwide. With his abstract storytelling and dreamy visual style, Tran Anh Hung’s diverse filmography continues to evolve, challenging his audiences with its nuanced sensuality in its depictions of human relationships. Discover Tran Anh Hung’s influences, the inspiration behind his imageries and impressions, and hopes for Vietnamese cinema.
Tran Anh Hung was born in Central Vietnam in 1962. He migrated to France with his family at the age of 12 during the end of the Vietnam War in 1975. In France, Tran studied at the prestigious film school, Louis Lumière College, where he made two well-received short films. Backed by French production company, Lazennec Productions, he hit his big break with his first film, The Scent of Green Papaya. Following its success, Tran’s second film Cyclo, won him the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival in 1995, making him one of the youngest filmmakers to be honored at the festival at the age of 33. His most recent work, the romantic historical drama, Eternity, is his first feature in French.
• A fully refundable fee of $5 will be charged for each ticket booking. Register and turn up for the event. If you turn up, the booking fee will be refunded by Peatix electronically, otherwise, it will be forfeited.
• Seats are issued on a first-come-first-served basis (free seating arrangement).
• Registration will close on 25 Nov 2016, 6pm. Any cancellations must be made before the ticket cut-off date and time, otherwise your registration will be locked-in.
• The refund will be handled by the credit card company of the credit card used to purchase the tickets. The refund process will vary depending on the cut-off date of the credit card.
• Should the refund be done before the credit card cut-off date: The refund process will be handled in the current month so no money will be deducted for ticket payment. In most cases, both the ticket payment and the refund will appear separately on the credit card statement.
• Should the refund process be done after the credit card cut-off date: The payment of the ticket order will be processed. Peatix will refund the amount in the next month through a negative invoice.
Note: Peatix are unable to look up cut-off dates of credit cards. Peatix accepts VISA, MasterCard and AMEX.
LINKS TO OTHER MASTERCLASSES:
- ANURAG KASHYAP
- DARREN ARONOFSKY
- FRUIT CHAN
- DARREN ARONOFSKY
- HERMAN YAU
- NAOMI KAWASE
LINKS TO OTHER TALKS:
- CINEMA LEGEND: SIMON YAM
- THE ROAD TO MANDALAY
- MUTATING MYTHOLOGIES - HYBRID CINEMA OF LATIN AMERICA
- ACTORS UNSCRIPTED WITH JACK NEO
- DEVELOPING SCREENPLAYS IN SINGAPORE
- ELEVATING YOUR STORY THROUGH SOUND DESIGN
- EXPLORING VR360 IN SHORT FILMS
- FUTURE OF CINEMA FORUM
11:00 AM - 12:00 PM SGT
- National Museum Singapore, Gallery Theatre
Free Seating (Refundable) $5.00
On sale until Nov 25, 2016, 6:00:00 PM
- Venue Address
- 93 Stamford Road, 178897 Singapore